Guild Database RIFT Dev Tracker RIFT Combat Parser
Become a Premium Junkie!
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Rifter Siel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Guild
    Archnemesis

    Exclamation Mage Stat Caps? What should I be going for?

    Hi, I'm Siel Level 43 Mage from Faemist(US) and well Im new to Rift, but have played other MMO's before so Im curious to know, the stats caps in this game. Should I get "focus"? Is there Hit rating I should aim at? Or what other stats as a Mage should I aim for? and do these change depending on my choice of soul/specc? any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a list that can show me what end game gear is available to me and how to acquire it would be awesome xD Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Rifter bobalobabingbong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bronx, N.Y.
    Posts
    295
    Main Character
    Laorji
    Shard
    Faemist
    Guild
    Titan
    You need focus to cap. Once you hit 50, just get as much focus as you can. I'm not quite sure of the caps for content. Shoot for 100 at first.

    Then its SP, Int, wis

    Sent from my CM7 powered HTC EVO 4G via Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Rifter Siel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3
    Guild
    Archnemesis
    Awesome thanks, can anyone pls confirm this stat priority pls?

  4. #4
    Rogue Junkie
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    270
    Guild
    No guild.
    bob is correct. While you only need 50 focus for Tier 1 dungeons, you will need 100 for Tier 2 dungeons. Prioritize focus until you reach 100, then focus on spell power > int > wisdom. Should you begin raiding Tier 1 Raids or Raid Rifts, get to at least 200 focus, with a goal of 229. With Hammerknell released, you would need at the very least a helmet and gloves with focus on them and assorted pieces of T1 Raid gear just to make focus cap, let alone DPS checks for Hammerknell.

    Be prepared to pay more plat for focus runes now that Hammerknell has just released. Multiple guilds are buying them up in attempts to hit 330 focus/hit and 200+ toughness.

  5. #5
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    46
    Guild
    No guild.
    Focus -> SP -> Int -> Wis -> Spell Crit if I'm not wrong.


    200 focus required for raiding, 220 is optimal. For more stats info check out this dude's excel spreadsheet its in this forum
    Last edited by Shadowcoust; 07-27-2011 at 10:34 PM.

  6. #6
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Guild
    Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcoust View Post
    Focus -> SP -> Int -> Wis -> Spell Crit if I'm not wrong.


    200 focus required for raiding, 220 is optimal. For more stats info check out this dude's excel spreadsheet its in this forum
    For raiding 10 mans and GSB focus should be about 220-250. You can get by with that.

    Okay, I am going to point something out here that people have wrong and that is the priorization of stats. Yes focus should be first priority until you have capped it for what you are doing. If you aren't raiding no need for over 150 focus for t2 dungeons.

    Now let me state this, I am still in the midst ofgearing up my mage. Until I ran AP and received the Icerot Staff, I had a mh from Pvp called the Cultists Mark or something like that. I have not received entropy yet so don't bother going there. I have Tome of the Ancients as well. I ran Ap picked up Icerot staff. I have Pyro/ele spec so I am buffed with Flaring Intellect. I am also a runecrafter. I do not have SP over 1K. So the dillema came do I put the SP rune or the INT rune on the staff. Now I figured out that if I stayed MH/Off hand and I put the SP rune on the staff and equipped it, I lost 2 SP. I am supposed to follow the FOCUS> SP > INT > WIS > SCRIT right? Logical sense says equip the staff with SP because I am under 1K SP. No I put the Int Rune on the staff and gained 22 more INT, 11 more SP, 22 more SCrit and I am up 8 points in Focus.

    So the lesson learned here is that Int over SP and SCrit over Wisdom. A mage should never really stack, place on them or choose gear that has more wisdom than INT. Instead of following FOCUS > SP > INT > WIS > SCRIT it should be now that you follow FOCUS > INT > SP > SCRIT and forget about wisdom all together. You should never base a gear choice on wisdom as a mage.

    Why INT over SP? First off a mage's DPS spec is actually reliant on Spell Crit more so than Spell Power. Don't get me wrong you still need spell power. When you stack INT the break down is 1INT = 0.5SP + 1SCrit. So when you stack INT you are getting both SP and SCRIT. If you just stack SP you lose out on the SCRIT all together. Crit is important in DPS for mages in the Pyro spec as well as the Necro/lock spec.

    So for my current INT of 490, I get an increase in 245 SP and my SCrit is increased 490 points. Had I just taken SP my SP would only have increased and not crit. This put me over the 30% mark on scrit. The cap for SCrit on mages I believe is 40% in PVE. So you should shoot for that goal.

  7. #7
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    46
    Guild
    No guild.
    Wrong, Atreas.

    SP is an additive, whereas SCrit as a multiplicative. This alone proves that SP is top on the list after focus cap. While SCrit is your best bet to increase DPS output and overtake other mages on dps meters, it is unreliable because it is luck-based and because it is well, a multiplicative, derp.

    Theoreotically speaking, SP is definitely the best stat to pump out instead of SCrit.
    Last edited by Shadowcoust; 08-03-2011 at 11:06 PM.

  8. #8
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Guild
    Exile
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcoust View Post
    Wrong, Atreas.

    SP is an additive, whereas SCrit as a multiplicative. This alone proves that SP is top on the list after focus cap. While SCrit is your best bet to increase DPS output and overtake other mages on dps meters, it is unreliable because it is luck-based and because it is well, a multiplicative, derp.

    Theoreotically speaking, SP is definitely the best stat to pump out instead of SCrit.
    Actually INT is better to pump out than SP which is the point of the thread above. yes I would take SP over SCrit. I pointed that out in the thread as well. The point of my thread for which I think you missed the point was it is better to stack INT than it is to stack SP as what people originally say to stack.

    For an example of what I am saying but I did not say it is to look at the rune for a two handed staff on the excel spreadsheet put out by this forum. The SP rune is second to the INT rune. I did not put the spreadsheet out. The spreadsheet is just confirming what I am saying - stack INT over SP over Scrit over everything else. Which is not what you shadowcoust told the OP. You said that You should stack Wisdom over SCrit. Wisdom on mage is useless. You also told the OP to stack SP over INT. INT is the Mage's most fundamental attribute. You should always choose to stack INT over SP. Why? Because INT affects more than just SP. It affects Scrit as well. If you just stack SP you miss out on SCrit gain.

    Sorry but you can stack just SP over INT after Focus cap and you will gimp yourself. I will continue to put my focus on stacking INT before SP. And I will out damage you in every case.
    Last edited by Atreas; 08-05-2011 at 09:02 AM.

  9. #9
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6
    Guild
    Exile
    My original thread:

    Quote Originally Posted by Atreas View Post
    ... Yes focus should be first priority until you have capped it for what you are doing....Logical sense says equip the staff with SP because I am under 1K SP. No I put the Int Rune on the staff and gained 22 more INT, 11 more SP, 22 more SCrit and I am up 8 points in Focus.

    So the lesson learned here is that Int over SP and SCrit over Wisdom. A mage should never really stack, place on them or choose gear that has more wisdom than INT. Instead of following FOCUS > SP > INT > WIS > SCRIT it should be now that you follow FOCUS > INT > SP > SCRIT and forget about wisdom all together. You should never base a gear choice on wisdom as a mage.

    Why INT over SP? First off a mage's DPS spec is actually reliant on Spell Crit more so than Spell Power. Don't get me wrong you still need spell power. When you stack INT the break down is 1INT = 0.5SP + 1SCrit. So when you stack INT you are getting both SP and SCRIT. If you just stack SP you lose out on the SCRIT all together. Crit is important in DPS for mages in the Pyro spec as well as the Necro/lock spec.
    If you disagree with that last statement, the Pyro/ELE spec is most reliant spec on SCrit. Before I switched to a necro/lock spec it was advantageous to boost spell crit too get every last drop of dps out of my mage. I still do more damage at my level as a pyro/ele mage than a necro/lock spec mage. The problem with theory crafting things out is its always based off the best gear in the game. When I read bluedots its always 1300+ sp when he talks stats. I don't have over 1K sp. The stats he has also goes from 750-900 SP for fresh 50 mages the next teir is over 1K SP then on to the best gear. What do people do who are between 900 and 1K SP.

    (Pre 1.4) Putting INT over SP as chlorolock in PVP, I was always in the top 5 mages. As a pyro/ele spec mage I was always 1st or 2nd on dps meter in raids. In 5 mans I am always on top of DPS meters unless someone has better gear than me. The problem is that I barely had any t2 gear for pve. for pvp, I only had like the rings and the base diviner's gear (not visiting the r2 merchant) while saving up for my r5 and r6 gear. I am only r3 and still beat out most mages as a necrolock without PVP gear. Why am I saying this? Because I just applied to a guild, they based my raiding slot off of DPS. I know other guilds do the same thing and its not uncommon for guilds to do that even if they say they don't.

    I will always use this FOCUS > INT > SP > SCRIT. You wont see me stacking WISDOM on anything as a mage.

  10. #10
    Rifter bobalobabingbong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bronx, N.Y.
    Posts
    295
    Main Character
    Laorji
    Shard
    Faemist
    Guild
    Titan
    Fail.

    Sent from my CM7 powered HTC EVO 4G via Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    9
    Guild
    No guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreas View Post
    Why INT over SP? First off a mage's DPS spec is actually reliant on Spell Crit more so than Spell Power. Don't get me wrong you still need spell power. When you stack INT the break down is 1INT = 0.5SP + 1SCrit. So when you stack INT you are getting both SP and SCRIT. If you just stack SP you lose out on the SCRIT all together. Crit is important in DPS for mages in the Pyro spec as well as the Necro/lock spec.
    Two problems with your theory.

    First, stat costs. Every item ingame has a budget, each stat on that item comes out of that budget. WoW used a very transparent itemlevel system, no doubt RIFT has something similar. You are assuming that Int and SP cost the same amount out of the budget. But what if Int costs more than SP? Or vice versa?

    Secondly, your assertion that 1 point of Int is better because you get 0.5 points of SP and 1 point of SCrit is flawed, because what if one point of crit doesn't give you the same damage increase as 0.5 points of SP?

    The only person I know of that's done an indepth calculation is Bluedot, he lists some values of SP, Int and SCrit here, but bare in mind that they are rough and will vary from spec to spec (I imagine that they have been calculated using the Pyro/Ele single target spec).

    The figures provided there suggest that at lower (until you're full T2) levels of gear, SP > Int, after which they become roughly equal. At that point I would stack Int because you get more mana for longer fights and keep your DPS the same.

  12. #12
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    46
    Guild
    No guild.
    I do agree with your point in that practically speaking, INT might be better than SP thanks to the SCrit, even though I guess it is by and large proven that SP still provides more dps per point, because I played a Balance Druid in WoW, and Eclipse procs without Starfire crits pretty much meant that you were captain useless on DPS.
    Last edited by Shadowcoust; 08-07-2011 at 11:10 PM.

  13. #13
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreas View Post
    For raiding 10 mans and GSB focus should be about 220-250. You can get by with that.
    No.

    Everything except hammerknell is focus capped at 220. Where the hell are you getting this crap?

  14. #14
    Rifter
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1
    Guild
    No guild.
    where do we see what is best for our class in the way of intellect/wisdom and such?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts